Thursday, September 14, 2006

Perverse Childishness

Today I found myself reflecting back to a time long gone, an instance when I was introduced to the magic of the written word; Roald Dahl and Judy Blume to be specific. My memory fails me on recalling who lead to whom; however I reckon it was “The Twits” that showed me the way to “Fourth Grade Nothing”.

“George’s Marvelous Medicine” was an all time favorite; perhaps it was because at that tender age I believed I could connect myself to his world. My Gran wasn’t witch like as George painted his to be, but I didn’t see eye to eye with her and thus disconnected myself from her efforts to reach out to me. I perceived them as her trying to clip my wings; I had a little to much fight in me back then. My perverse child like mind had an imagination that worked over time and I’d visualize offering her a spoon of the wicked concoction George put together.

I look back with embarrassment and remorse that I didn’t appreciated my Gran while she was alive. As I’ve matured my vicious desires have curbed, consequently; what then seemed inciting now seems futile and repulsive.

A day late but Happy Roald Dahl Day!

No comments: